Saturday, June 12, 2010

My rich dads and my poor dad.

Read the title carefully, and you will realize the existence of "s" at the rich dad and no "s" at the poor dad. It is not a typing error, it is what it meant to be. This issue is kind of sensitive since it's involve dad, and that means its involve family. Things I wanted to declare here is, when it comes to money, everything is personal. So, I do take money matters personally. Even when it comes to my dad.

If you know Robert Kiyosaki, this is where the original title came from which is "Rich Dad Poor Dad". He produce a lot of financial books which is far different than any financial books. Now, let's focus on the title. In my life, I have one poor dad which is my own dad. I have several rich dads which I don't think they know me, but as long as they teach me something useful about personal money, I will call them my rich dads.

My poor dad use money differently compare to my rich dads. He is a doctor and I believe his income is much more than average people. He don't buy any house even for us to stay or for renting purposes. We stay in a house inside a secondary school where my mother is working. We rent the house. Instead, my father use the money to buy a Mercedes C class which look so cool to him. I don't like car so much since I learn from Azizi Ali that car is nothing more than a tool to bring me from A to B so why should I spend half of my money for car. The truth is, my real father have no financial knowledge and this explain why he can't manage his own money very well.

Now, I wanted to introduce to you some of my rich dads. My first rich dad is Azizi Ali and he is a pilot. He has wrote many books especially in personal money management and properties. I know, since I am 20 years old and I have no experience buying a property, his book make me become really excited about properties investment. I really want to have a life like him. A moderate life but financially abundance. One day, I also want to write books and be a financial consultant like him. The best thing about him is, he is not a people from finance background (I told you he is a pilot) but he manage to take MBA and ChFC. I recommend you to read all his books. My favorite books from him is the properties combo pack which I not really understand some of it. I guess I need to read it again and again so that every lesson he thought really sticks in my mind.

My second rich dad is Robert T. Kiyosaki, which is the one who comes up with the phrase "Rich Dad Poor Dad". He teach me about the four cash flow quadrants which are employee, self employed, business owner and investor. I never know about this quadrant before I read his book. Now in my life, I wanted to be an investors, not an employee anymore. He also invent a cool board games called Cashflow 101 and Cashflow 202. Up to this moment, I just played the Cashflow 101, next time I'll try the 202 version. If you want to experience playing the game online, just click here. It is really fun for people who don't have a formal financial background like me to learn about income, expenses, assets and liabilities while playing the game. The best thing about this online game is, it is worldwide, so I also experience playing with people from Mexico, China, India and Africa. You better give it a try.

My third rich dad is Adam Khoo. He is from Singapore. This person is one of a brilliant student in his university. The good thing about him is he is so young and energetic. If I'm not mistaken, he manage to get his first million when his age just twenty something. Imagine how great his life would be. I wonder how he manage to have the spirit to do things differently than others. Some of the lesson that Adam teach me is about delay gratification. Rich people, they a people with patience. They don't buy expensive toys immediately even if they have money, instead they buy assets. This assets will make money work for them and enable them to own expensive toys without any burden. Adam also teach me about passive income and the power of leverage. A great example of passive income that apply the power of leverage is writing a book and use internet for marketing purposes. That is why I think, if I want to be rich, I must write books.

To make long story short, who ever my rich dads are, I will never love them more than my poor dad. I have a great dad and he is very responsible with whatever things that he do. I believe, I can't blame him why he don't have enough financial knowledge since this is one of the disadvantages of our education system. I hope I can be much better than my father in term of financial knowledge and my financial success. God bless me and my father.

No comments: